PREPARE YOUR BODY FOR THE NIGHT AHEAD AND MORNING AFTER
The anti-hangover supplement market in the US is growing at an unprecedented rate and as always, we’re here to review the best.
Today we look at Drinkwel, one of the most convenient, and scientific, anti-hangover products on the market today.
Drinkwel is a 30-ingredient multivitamin designed to support healthy liver function and assist in your body’s detoxification process from the consumption of alcohol.
With straightforward marketing, Drinkwel bills itself as “The Multivitamin for People Who Drink”. After sampling the product and learning about its background and design, we think that’s a perfectly accurate description. Here’s why:
Right from the outset upon opening, it’s clear Drinkwel aren’t messing around. More than any product we’ve seen, this takes a scientific, almost laboratory-like approach to the act of drinking. You’ll be glad they did.
Developed by two doctors in Biomedical Science and Naturopathic Medicine, Drinkwel treats the act of drinking as nothing more than a chemical equation.
Alcohol is a diuretic and a toxin. That’s a fact. And if you consume a lot of it without proper preparation, it can wash away a large supply of nutrients in your body through dehydration, weaken your immune system, and leave you feeling like an absolute trainwreck. That is the play-by-play process of a hangover.
Drinkwel aims to stop that whole process before it really starts, flooding your body with ample amounts of necessary nutrients. Unlike many anti-hangover products that take a postmortem approach – ie taking a pill the morning after to feel better – Drinkwel is a preventive supplement, taken before drinking to shield your system for the battle ahead.
It doesn’t treat the symptoms of a hangover, it aims to stop them from ever occurring in the first place.
Its 30-ingredient formula contains nutrients specifically tailored for short-term and long-term relief from the act of drinking. Each capsule contains (from Drinkwel website):
1. Milk Thistle and Artichoke to support healthy liver function, protecting the hepatocytes (liver cells) and promoting healthy detoxifying. Kudzu, Green Tea and Schisandra are also included to support liver health.
2. Amino acid N-Acetyl Cysteine and Taurine to assist the body in metabolizing alcohol-induced toxins.
3. Replenishment of key vitamins and minerals that may become deficient with continued alcohol consumption: Vitamin C, Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Riboflavin, Copper, Magnesium and Selenium.
4. A full Vitamin B-Complex to aid metabolism and maintain energy. Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 and Biotin all help support normal energy levels.
5. Superfruits such Acerola, Goji and Acai that help neutralize free radicals. These berries have antioxidant properties that support healthy liver metabolism and detoxification by scavenging free radicals.
Drinkwel will have great appeal to casual, social, and regular drinkers alike. Its instructions advise taking one serving daily with food (3 pills = 1 serving) and, on days when you’re drinking, another serving with food before bed.
Now, 6 pills a night does seem a little inconvenient and excessive. But in terms of recommended daily allowances, Drinkwel contains FAR more than an average multivitamin so it can easily stand in as your multivitamin supplement.
That said, a full serving daily is probably not necessary unless you are leading a very active lifestyle with a high level of daily alcohol intake – i.e. downing 5-6 drinks after work each day and far more on the weekends; or you temporarily adopt such a schedule on a wild vacation in a global party destination.
Nonetheless, there are many people with active lifestyles who do indeed drink at that pace on a daily basis and could benefit from taking Drinkwel daily. If you’re that socially active with a high consumption of alcohol, Drinkwel can and should be your daily multivitamin of choice.*
Unlike similar supplements packaged in cans or shot-sized plastic bottles, Drinkwel comes in pill form and couldn’t be easier to carry. No need for bags or bottles, just three pills in your pocket.
As expected of course, results are where Drinkwel shines the most. Provided the supplement was taken correctly with food before and after drinking, reviews were near unanimously positive in terms of dulling the effects of a hangover. Fatigue was present with many, but the typical stomach aches, headaches and pains associated with a hangover were absent.
Drinkwel is packaged in individual sized serving packets (3 pills/1 packet) or in a standard sized bottle containing 90 pills. The product is sold on the company’s website and on Amazon at similar prices.
* – Always consult a health professional and/or physician before introducing a daily supplement to your diet.